Thursday, February 18, 2010

Surgery day


Surgery day was yesterday. I arrived at the Center at 12:30pm my husband drove me. Filled out some paperwork and then was sent in to change into my hospital gown, hat and socks. Placed all my belongings into a locker and went to my bed. Patty my nurse came in and prepped me up for the IV and then my anesthesiologist came in and talked over what was going to happen. Dr Pham came in an told me he would prescribe some Tylenol 3 for pain if I needed it, but didn't think I would need any. I was taken into the surgery room. I was tied down from both arms and my legs and then they placed the mask on my face and last thing I remember is telling my nurse Alma to make sure I got the Lap band and I hear the Dr say "Yes thank you for reminding me" and that was it..next I remember was me getting placed into the bed and feeling this massive pressure trying to breath and just discomfort in my stomach area. I never felt pain. Then I started to feel real nauseous and they gave me something for that and for pain, as later on I was feeling a little bit. Procedure took less than an hour and recovery was also about an hour. I was home by 5:30pm.

Once at home I was so uncomfortable with the gas pain. I would walk every hour around the house to hopefully get them out but they just would not budge. I was up all night until finally I fell asleep in the couch. Felt like sitting up would help me a bit more. I took Gas-x and even resorted to childrens Mylecon but nothing helped. Walking is the only thing that really helps.

Every time I pee I smell the anesthesia coming out and that smell makes me nauseous. I just try to drink as much fluids as possible to get it out of my system. Today has been harder to get out of bed due to the soreness, but I have managed with the help of my hubby to get up and walk around. The gas pains have subsided a bit, but I still feel a lot of pain in my left shoulder. Most of the soreness too is around the port area. Will keep you posted on the progress.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to bandland Maria! It will get better each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A heating pad will help with the pain, and you won't believe how much better you'll feel in a few days. Walk, walk, walk and sip, sip, sip!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Maria.. take it slow as Dawn has said each day will get a bit better.. now is time to recover and get your fluids in .. be well

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats! i hope you feel better soon!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heating pads, drinking warm liquids instead of cold, and of course- walk, walk, walk.

    Congrats on your surgery! Happy healing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Maria, glad to hear everything went well. Rest up and make sure you walk. It will make you feel better, quicker. I wish you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. best of luck to you in your recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete